New York City has stringent regulations for building and property maintenance to ensure the safety and well-being of its residents. Among these is Local Law 152 (LL 152), a mandate requiring periodic inspections of gas piping systems in buildings. If you’re a property owner in NYC, understanding the specifics of LL 152 is essential for staying in compliance and avoiding potential penalties.
One question we often encounter at Empire Plumbing is, “Can I get my LL 152 inspection completed early?”
Quick Answer: No, not really.
What Is LL 152?
Local Law 152 was implemented to enhance the safety measures around gas piping systems in buildings throughout New York City. The law mandates that gas piping systems be inspected at regular intervals – every four years for most buildings – to detect leaks, corrosion, or other potential hazards. After the inspection, a licensed master plumber must submit a report to the NYC Department of Buildings (DOB).
Timing of LL 152 Inspections
The law is structured so that buildings are inspected on a staggered schedule, determined by the borough in which the building is located. The aim of staggering the inspections is to manage the workload for both the DOB and licensed master plumbers.
The inspection due dates vary by districts, and occur every four years.
- January 1, 2023 – December 31, 2023 – Districts: 11, 12, 14, 15, and 17 in all boroughs
- January 1, 2024 – December 31, 2024 – Districts: 1, 3, and 10 in all boroughs
- January 1, 2025 – December 31, 2025 – Districts: 2, 5, 7, 13, and 18 in all boroughs
- January 1, 2026 – December 31, 2026 – Districts: 4, 6, 8, 9, and 16 in all boroughs
After this year, everyone will have completed at least one LL 152 inspection, which means that next year many people are completing their follow up inspection.
Can You Get Your Inspection Done Early?
Technically, you can have your gas piping system inspected at any time; however, for the purpose of LL 152 compliance, the timing matters. If you choose to complete your LL 152 inspection early – before your borough’s designated year – there are some considerations to keep in mind:
- The inspection will not count for compliance with LL 152 unless it is conducted during the designated year for your borough. This is why it is not considered appropriate to complete it early, although there may be reasons to still complete an inspection.
- Any early inspection would essentially serve as a preliminary check and will not absolve you from the requirement of having another inspection during your designated year.
- Conducting an early inspection could be beneficial in identifying potential issues that you can address before the mandatory inspection.
So while the inspection isn’t helpful for staying compliant with LL 152, it does offer some benefits. It can reveal problems that you can identify and fix before the mandatory inspection. It can help you with budgeting, in case you need any repairs or upgrades. It is also useful for safety, in case there are gas problems you suspect.
We are also able to offer gas line inspections generally, not necessarily to be compliant with LL 152, which are affordable and a useful option for those that want to make sure their building is safe.
Contact Empire Plumbing for Local Law 152 Services
Although an early LL 152 inspection won’t satisfy legal requirements, it can serve as a useful preliminary check to identify issues and plan your budget accordingly. When it comes to the actual LL 152 inspection, it is crucial to adhere to the timeline dictated by your borough to remain compliant and avoid penalties.
For more information on LL 152 inspections and other plumbing services, don’t hesitate to contact Empire Plumbing. We have licensed master plumbers experienced in LL 152 inspections, and we’re committed to ensuring the safety and compliance of your property’s gas piping systems.