Although normally extremely safe, natural gas can be dangerous if you have a gas leak that releases highly flammable vapors into your home. If these vapors are ignited, they could cause serious damage and injury
It is important to know the signs of a gas leak, such as a rotten egg smell, but you also need to know what to do when you start to notice this smell and how to keep yourself safe.
Steps to Take When You Notice a Gas Leak in Your Home
The right steps will depend somewhat on how severe the leak is and what you feel comfortable with.
If you have any reason to suspect that a gas leak is extreme, it is best just simply evacuate the property as quickly as possible and call 911. This includes any time you suspect the risk of a gas explosion.
Fortunately, circumstances this extreme are rare. Instead, problems with gas piping systems more often build up over time and you will often have long enough to take a few safety precautions that will help prevent a fire or explosion as a result of a gas line leak.
If you do start to notice the smell of gas or other signs, you should:
- Turn Off Gas Appliances – Shut off any gas appliances that could be releasing additional gas into the air.
- Don’t Light Anything – Striking a match or trying to light your stove will create a spark that can ignite all of the gas fumes in the room.
- Avoid Using Electronics – Electronics can also create a spark that ignites gas fumes, so avoid using things like TVs, computers, and other devices.
- Open Doors and Windows – Opening doors and windows in your home will increase ventilation to let gas fumes begin to escape.
- Call a Master Plumber – Once you have taken any necessary steps to protect yourself, contact a plumber for gas line repair. A plumber can correct the leak and restore gas service once pipes and appliances are functioning safely again.
Empire Plumbing is a licensed master plumber in NYC, serving commercial and residential properties in Brooklyn, Manhattan, and beyond. We have a fast response time and expert service to be sure that we can get gas leaks and other repair issues under control quickly at local properties. Contact Empire Plumbing for rapid gas piping repair.