When you turn on the heat in your NYC home or apartment, but your property stays cold, you likely have a problem with your boiler. The good news is that many of the reasons your boiler is malfunctioning are smaller issues that you can solve on your own without needing to call an NYC boiler repair company.
Below we outline some common problems with boilers that you can check for and fix on your own without special tools or knowledge. Before you call a specialist, inspect each of these elements to save yourself time and money and hopefully get your heating system working again.
Troubleshooting a Malfunctioning Boiler
Before you assume the lack of heat in your home is due to a broken boiler, going through each of these 5 troubleshooting steps can help save you a visit – and the expense – from a heating repair specialist:
- Power Switch – This one is simple, but it does happen. Make sure that the power switch is turned on for your boiler. You can usually find this switch by the boiler or at the top of your basement stairs.
- Breaker or Fuse – If a circuit breaker or fuse has been tripped, you can reset it in the electrical. box. This applies to both natural gas and electrical boilers since both have electrical components.
- Thermostat Settings – Check your thermostat settings to make sure your heating is on. You can test your boiler by turning the thermostat to the highest setting and seeing if your heating comes on. You can also try replacing the batteries in your thermostat.
- Fuel Source – On gas powered boilers, check to be sure the valve is open and fuel is flowing to the boiler. You will find the valve on the boiler.
- Pilot Light – Gas boilers also use a pilot light that most property owners will light in the fall. There are manual pilot lights and automatic ignition pilot lights, and most boilers will be labeled. If your manual ignition pilot light is out, you can relight it on your own.
If you have completed each of these steps and your heating is still not working, it is time to call a licensed master plumber in NYC. Empire Plumbing Inc is a certified boiler repair company that can help diagnose any problems with your heating system and make the necessary repairs. We use upfront pricing, rapid service, and professional technicians to keep your home in NYC comfortable and warm. Call us today if you have a problem with your boiler.